- Number of days: 1
- Experience level: Advanced
- Type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom with practicals in the laboratory
- RSC CPD approval: Approved for CPD
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £499 + VAT per delegate
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD). RSC members receive a discount of 10% for this course (membership number required) if booked at least 6 weeks in advance.
What will you learn on this course?
This one day course is spent learning the theory behind Solid-Phase Micro-Extraction (SPME) and how to modify samples to improve results, then using this knowledge to create SPME methods, analyse samples and experiment with parameters to see the effects.
This course will cover Headspace-SPME and Immersion-SPME, SPME phases, SPME instrumentation & set up, maintenance and troubleshooting. It will introduce related techniques like SBSE, SPE-TD and SPDE.
- You will learn about and gain practical experience of how to use SPME as an automated sample preparation technique for GC & GC-MS in great detail
- You will learn the fundamental theory of SPME
- You will learn about the types of samples that can be analysed using SPME
- You will learn about and gain practical experience of the various parameters that can be optimised for the technique to improve method robustness and sensitivity
- You will set up and maintain the technique on a live instrument
- You will learn about the individual steps and processes of SPME analysis
- You will learn the frequent maintenance and common troubleshooting problems in SPME analysis
- You will learn SPME tips and tricks
- You will learn about the benefits of using SPME in the analysis of your samples
Who is this course for?
This course requires good knowledge of GC or GC-MS.
- Combine with the other 4 hands-on sample preparation techniques, Hands-on Headspace, Hands-on Thermal Desorption, Hands-on Pyrolysis and Hands-on Purge-and-Trap courses to form the Hands-on Sample Preparation for GC & GC-MS course for £1870 + VAT.
- Combine with any of the Hands-on Headspace, Hands-on Thermal Desorption, Hands-on Pyrolysis and the Hands-on Purge-and-Trap courses for a discounted price: 2 days for £925 + VAT; 3 days for £1310 + VAT; 4 days for £1640 + VAT; 5 days for £1870 + VAT.
Feedback from previous attendees
"Very informative with no sales "gimics" unlike some manufacturers' courses. Comprehensive course, liked the hands on presentation." Alison Kuhl, Lab Manager, University of Bristol (May 2016).
"First class. [I enjoyed] the information, background and practical elements." David Saunders, Laboratory Chemist, SI Group-UK (October 2015).
"The hands on element meant the theory learnt made more sense as you could see it put into practice." PhD Student, Open University (April 2015).
"Very good course overall" Senior Scientist, UK Chemicals Company (April 2015).
"[I enjoyed] the method development theory and getting lots of useful information about how to improve things here." Rebecca Nichols, QC Analyst, Quay Pharma (September 2014).
"[I enjoyed] hands on learning and learning about the various parts of the instrument." QC Analyst (September 2014).
"[I enjoyed] the combination of theory and pratical, as well as the thorough knowledge of the instructors." Analytical Development Scientist (September 2014).
"I enjoyed the way the presenter gave the course. I liked the useful slides and hand-outs." Fatima Al Wahshi, a Research Scientist from the Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Company, who attended the 3-day course (Aug 2013).
"[I enjoyed] the mixture between the theoretical presentation and hands on the equipment for practical experiments." Celia Laurence, a research assistant from The Open University (Aug 2013).