- Number of days: 5
- Experience level: Advanced
- Type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom with practicals in the laboratory
- RSC CPD approval: Approved for CPD
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £1870 + VAT per delegate
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD). RSC members receive a discount of 10% for this course (membership number required) if booked at least 6 weeks in advance.
The Hands-On Sample Preparation course combines the 5 individual hands-on sample preparation days covering Headspace (HS), Solid-Phase Micro-Extraction (SPME), Thermal Desorption (TD), Pyrolysis (Py) and Purge-and-Trap (P&T).
These courses will teach you the theory for each sample preparation technique and you will perform practical exercises to use this knowledge to create methods, analyse samples and experiment with parameters.
These courses have a 50:50 mix of theory and hands-on practicals in a laboratory environment.
- You will learn about and gain practical experience on how to use five independent sample preparation techniques for GC-MS in great detail
- You will learn the fundamental theory of Headspace (HS), Solid Phase Micro Extraction (SPME), Thermal Desorption (TD), Analytical Pyrolysis (Py) and Purge-and-Trap (P&T)
- You will learn about the types of samples that can be analysed
- You will learn about and gain practical experience of the various parameters that can be optimised for each technique to improve method robustness and sensitivity
- You will set up and maintain the 5 different techniques on live instruments
- You will learn about the individual steps and processes of each technique
- You will learn the frequent maintenance and common troubleshooting problems for each technique
- You will learn the tips and tricks of each technique
- You will learn about the benefits of each technique for the analysis of your samples
Who is this course for?
If you have reasonable gas chromatography experience but want further hands-on training on a new sampling technique, then this is the course is for you. Delegates should have good knowledge of GC or GC-MS or have attended the Practical Essentials of GC & GC-MS or the Hands-on GC & GC-MS courses.
- You can attend all 5 days of the course for a complete training solution covering these 5 sample preparation techniques for GC or GC-MS. Alternatively, you can attend individual courses for specific training on each technique:
Feedback from previous attendees
"I enjoyed the way the presenter gave the course. I liked the useful slides and hand-outs." Fatima Al Wahshi, a Research Scientist from the Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Company, who attended a 3-day course (Aug 2013).
"[I enjoyed] the mixture between the theoretical presentation and hands on the equipment for practical experiments." Celia Laurence, a research assistant from The Open University (Aug 2013).
"I enjoyed the Hands on experience gained." Tracy Warr, Laboratory technician at Satra Technology Centre, who attended the 1-day Thermal Desorption course from the Hands-on Sample Preparation course.
"I enjoyed the knowledge of the presenter and the ability to actually see the instrument work." Research technician at a University who attended the 1-day Thermal Desorption course from the Hands-on Sample Preparation course.