- Number of days: 1
- Experience level: Beginner
- Type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom, with instrument parts & consumables to handle
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £250 + VAT per delegate
What will you learn on this course?
This is a perfect introduction for absolute beginners to ICP. The course will cover the what, why, where, when and how of ICP-OES & ICP-MS.
- What is inductively coupled plasma - optical emission spectroscopy (ICP-OES) & mass spectrometry (ICP-MS)?
- How does ICP-OES and ICP-MS work? What instrumentation is available?
- Why do we use ICP-OES and ICP-MS? How could it help solve problems and what answers could it give?
- When do we use ICP-OES and ICP-MS? Which applications to answer what questions?
- Where do we use ICP-OES and ICP-MS?
- You will learn the definitions of inductively coupled plasma, optical emission spectroscopy and mass spectrometry
- You will learn about the types of samples, analytes and standards used in ICP-OES and ICP-MS
- You will learn the principles and components of the ICP-OES system
- You will learn about the principles and components of the ICP-MS system
- You will learn the purpose and principles of data analysis
- You will learn about different sampling techniques for ICP-OES and ICP-MS
- You will learn about a number of industries and their application of ICP-OES and ICP-MS
Who is this course for?
If you have no or very little knowledge of ICP, are an analyst, technician, engineer or work in sales or marketing and would like to improve your knowledge in this area, then this is the course for you.
Feedback from previous attendees
"Good overview of all the techniques to give a good basic understanding." Adam Hudson, Scientist, LGC Ltd (July 2018).
"[I enjoyed] learning about ICP. Very friendly." Helena Leask, Lab Analyst, E & S Environmental Services Ltd (July 2018).
"Good overview." Catherine Love, Senior Scientist, LGC Ltd (July 2018).
"[I enjoyed] how to interpret data analysis as well as the different sorts of instrumentation used and their different variables as I have never used / have a background in ICP-MS etc. Very informative and use of slides. Not too much writing with diagrams and pictures to keep attentive. Learnt a lot!" Chris George, Assistant Scientist, Environment Agency (onsite training, February 2018).
"I enjoyed the interaction from the instructor and the pace of the course. He kept it interesting and wasn't offended when I asked questions throughout the presentation. It was interesting and I feel like I have come away with new info and clarified a few things for myself." Scientist from UK government agency (onsite training, February 2018).
"[I enjoyed] seeing more detailed examples of ICP-OES/MS." Scientist from UK government agency (onsite training, February 2018).
"I felt like things were explained clearly and thoroughly." Scientist from UK government agency (onsite training, February 2018).
"Easy to understand. The new technologies associated with the topic were very interesting." Scientist from UK government agency (onsite training, February 2018).