- Number of days: 4
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Type: Manufacturer-specific; analysts using Markes BenchTOF with TOF-DS software
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom with practicals in the laboratory
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £1340 + VAT per delegate
What will you learn on this course?
This four-day Comprehensive GC-MS Training course introduces the fundamental theory of gas chromatography and time-of-flight mass spectrometry along with the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of the Markes BenchTOF mass spectrometer using the TOF-DS software for both instrument acquisition and data analysis.
This course includes an introduction to gas chromatograph and time-of-flight mass spectrometry; gas supply and handling; inlets; capillary columns; vacuum system; ionisation including EI and SelecteV; the time-of-flight mass filter; and the detector. The course will train the operator to perform the maintenance required to ensure the smooth running of the instrument. The course also discusses the principles of troubleshooting and includes an introduction to troubleshooting and maintenance focusing on leaks, optimisation & diagnostics, GC considerations, vacuum system, ion source, mass filter and MS detector.
The course covers an overview of the software; air/water Check and optimisation; creating methods and sequences; qualitative and quantitative data analysis including dynamic baseline compensation (DBC); reports; and an introduction to ChromCompare.
It combines a mixture of classroom based presentations with hands-on software and hardware lab exercises, to give you comprehensive training.
- You will learn the theory of gas chromatography and the importance of good chromatography
- You will learn the theory & principles of mass spectrometry focusing on the Markes BenchTOF MS
- You will learning about the function & operation of individual components of the Markes BenchTOF MS
- You will gain experience of adjusting the important GC and MS parameters
- You will review gas supply and gas handling, inlets and capillary columns
- You will learn the operation of the TOF-DS software
- You will learn an overview of the software
- You will learn how to undertake Air/Water Check (AWC) and Automatic Signal Optimization (AO) tuning
- You will learn how to create TOF methods
- You will analyse individual samples and create sequences for analysing multiple samples
- You will undertake qualitative data analysis including file processing and library searching
- You will undertake quantitative data analysis including creating calibration curves
- You will have an introduction to ChromCompare software, an automated sample comparison algorithm
Who is this course for?
This course is primarily for analysts and technicians responsible for the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of Markes BenchTOF mass spectrometers using the TOF-DS software.
Please note that while the hands on GC training will take place on the Markes BenchTOF mass spectrometer, the training can be applied to any make or model of gas chromatograph.
- You can attend all 4 days of the course for a complete training solution. Alternatively, you can attend individual courses for specific training on hardware or software: