- Number of days: 5
- Experience level: Intermediate to Advanced
- Type: Manufacturer-specific; analysts using Agilent GC and SQMS instrumentation
- Teaching method: Hands-on, laboratory-based
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £1,990 + VAT per delegate
What will you learn on this course?
This course provides theoretical and practical experience of GC and GC-MS hardware beyond the level of everyday system maintenance and is taught by an Agilent-trained service engineer.
It provides the GC and GC-MS user with the knowledge and confidence to tackle more advanced troubleshooting, repair, system reconfiguration and system qualification tasks.
It focuses on Agilent Technologies GCs and MSDs, with practicals taking place on 7890-5975C or 6890-5973 instruments, but much of the material covered will be broadly applicable to other manufacturers' hardware.
The course includes theoretical teaching along with a guided hands-on practical element in the laboratory to practice and re-enforce the theoretical learning. The course is 50% theory and 50% practical in a lab environment.
This course addresses GC & GC-MS site preparation, initial installation, system check-out and familiarisation with the hardware internals. It then goes on to provide instruction on troubleshooting common hardware problems followed by practical experience of these in a real chromatography laboratory.
- You will learn about safety considerations.
- You will learn the techniques and requirements for installing a GC and GC-MS system.
- You will be familiarised with the modules that make up a typical GC or GC-MS system.
- You will have practical experience of installing a gas supply, setting up system communications and installing and removing system modules.
- You will will learn about troubleshooting strategies and philosophy alongside common troubleshooting problems.
- You will have practical experience of troubleshooting and repairing common faults.
- You will the learn the requirements for the operational qualification of a typical GC or GC-MS system.
- You will have practical experience of carrying out the operational qualification of a system.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for intermediate to advanced users, already comfortable with the theory, operation and basic maintenance of GC and GC-MS. As a pre-requisite it is advisable either to attend both the 1-day Absolute Basics of GC & GC-MS and the 5-day Hands-on Complete GC & GC-MS course, or already have an equivalent level of practical experience. If you have or will have responsibility in your laboratory for moving instruments, re-configuring instruments, fixing instruments, performing maintenance and troubleshooting beyond the basics, then this course will be very beneficial!