- Number of days: 1
- Experience level: Advanced
- Type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: 50% face-to-face classroom-based, 50% hands-on laboratory-based
- RSC CPD approval: Approved for CPD
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Scheduled course price: £499 + VAT per delegate
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD). RSC members receive a discount of 10% for this 1-day course (membership number required) if booked at least 6 weeks in advance.
What will you learn on this course?
This one-day training course focuses on the different sample introduction and injection techniques that can be used with Programmable Temperature Vapourisers (PTVs), Multi-Mode Inlets (MMIs), Cooled and Universal Injection Systems. The course will cover hot versus cold split and splitless injections; cool on-column injection (COC); large volume injection (LVI); thermal desorption (TD); pyrolysis; and in-liner derivatisation injection techniques. This is a generic course for these advanced inlets that is applicable to many different manufacturers, including GL Sciences OPTIC, GERSTEL CIS, Thermo PTVs, Varian PTVs, Agilent PTV & MMI, Shimadzu OCI/PTV and JAS UNIS.
This course looks at the added functionalities of PTVs over standard hot inlets as a truly multi-mode inlet. Half of the day will be spent learning the theory, parameters, advantages and applications of these different sample introduction and injection techniques. The remainder of the day will be spent in the lab creating, using and optimising cold injection methods to analyse thermally labile and high molecular weight samples and using other advanced injection techniques.
Who is this course for?
This course is aimed at those who are analysing problems analytes, like thermally labile or high molecular weight compounds; and/or require a multi-functional GC inlet to analyse a range of different sample and analyte types using different sample introduction techniques. Delegates may already have a PTV or MMI or are considering the purchase of one. This course requires good knowledge of GC or GC-MS.
Note: This course will cover all advanced injection techniques but not large volume injections in great detail, please refer to the LVI course for more in-depth training on this technique.
- You will learn about the various injection techniques and the pros and cons of each type
- You will learn how to select the best techniques for your samples and analytes
- You will learn about and gain practical experience of the individual parameters required to be optimised for each technique
- You will have examples of applications using the techniques and put some of these into practice in the laboratory
- Combine with the 1-day Hands-on Large Volume Injection (LVI) course to form the 2-day Hands-on Advanced Injection for GC & GC-MS course for £925 + VAT.
Feedback from previous attendees
"I learned a lot of little things that can really make a difference but I never thought about." Claudia Moeckel, Environmental Chemist, attended Hands-on PTV.
"Good use of lecture time translating into laboratory exercises to illustrate the point fully." International analytical sales support from an instrument manufacturer who attended the Advanced Injection Technique course (February 2013).
"Very good content and course material, and allowed time for questions and comments, and good mix between class and hands on." Senior analyst from an instrument manufacturer who attended who attended the Advanced Injection Technique course (February 2013).