- Number of days: 3
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: 50% face-to-face classroom-based, 50% hands-on laboratory-based
- RSC CPD approval: Approved for CPD
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Scheduled course price: £1310 + VAT per delegate, per course
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
What will you learn on this course?
Spend the first day learning the theory of gas chromatography and then use this knowledge to create split and splitless methods, perform manual and liquid autosampler injections and change oven temperature programs to optimise the separation of analytes detected with an FID.
The second day is spent learning the reasons why maintenance is required, what happens if maintenance isn't performed and the signs of when maintenance is needed along with practicals carrying out maintenance on a gas chromatograph.
The final day combines learning how to go about troubleshooting GC and GC-MS instruments and what problems can occur, with real problem solving on the instruments and data analysis software.
This course will cover the theory, methods, maintenance and troubleshooting of the gas supplies, liquid autosampler, hot split and splitless injections, the analytical column and detection by FID and ECD.
- You will learn the importance of good chromatography
- You will learn about the function & operation of the individual GC components
- You will become familiar with the GC instrumentation
- You will have practical experience of adjusting the parameters for each GC component
- You will have practical experience of performing maintenance on each GC component
- You will learn the strategies for GC & GC-MS instrument troubleshooting
- You will have practical experience of GC & GC-MS instrument troubleshooting
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for all levels of knowledge.
- Combine with the 2-day Hands-on GC-MS Theory & Maintenance course to form the 5-day Hands-on Complete GC & GC-MS course for £1870 + VAT.
Feedback from previous attendees
"[I enjoyed the] problem solving exercises both practical and on handouts, with the in-depth explanation of GC components and troubleshooting. [It had] more practical exercises I will actually use at work." Chemist in the Environmental Industry who attended the Hands-on GC, Maintenance & Troubleshooting courses.