- Number of days: 4
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Type: Manufacturer-specific; analysts using Scion/Bruker/Varian GC-MS with MSWorkstation software
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom with practicals in the laboratory
- Course venue: Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £1340 + VAT per delegate
What will you learn on this course?
The four-day Comprehensive GC-MS Training course introduces the fundamental theory of ion trap GC-MS along with the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of the Varian Saturn 2200 ion trap using MSWorkstation software.
This course includes an introduction to ion trap mass spectrometry; hardware configuration; MS tuning; data acquisition in scan and MS/MS modes; qualitative & quantitative data analysis; reports; and sequencing.
The course will train the operator to perform the maintenance required to ensure the smooth running of the instrument. The course also discusses the principles of troubleshooting by examining the effects of faults in the system on the chromatographic output. This course includes an introduction to troubleshooting and maintenance focusing on tunes & diagnostics, GC considerations, vacuum system, ion source, ion trap mass filter and MS detector.
It combines a mixture of classroom based presentations with hands-on software and hardware lab exercises, to give you comprehensive training.
- You will learn the theory & principles of mass spectrometry focusing on the ion trap GC-MS
- You will become familiar with the Varian Saturn 2200 Ion Trap Mass Spectrometer instrumentation learning about the function & operation of individual components
- You will gain experience of adjusting the important MS parameters
- You will gain practical experience of performing maintenance of each MS component including vacuum system, ion source, ion trap mass filter & detector
- You will learn the strategies and gain practical experience of instrument troubleshooting
- You will learn the operation of the MSWorkstation software
- You will learn installation, set-up and have an overview of the software
- You will learn about the different tuning methods, undertake air/water checks & an autotune then interpret the results
- You will learn how to create a full scan and an MS/MS method to gain an understanding of each method type
- You will analyse individual samples and create sequences for analysing multiple samples
- You will undertake qualitative data analysis
- You will undertake quantitative data analysis creating calibration curves and producing appropriate sample reports
Who is this course for?
This course is primarily for analysts and technicians responsible for the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of Varian/Bruker Ion Trap GC-MS instruments with MSWorkstation.
Please note the practical exercises will take place on a Varian Saturn 2200 Ion Trap Mass Spectrometer but the training is suitable for all models of Scion/Bruker/Varian mass spectrometers.
- You can attend all 4 days of the course for a complete training solution. Alternatively, you can attend individual courses for specific training on hardware or software:
For training on the GC hardware please see the 2-day Comprehensive GC Hardware Training (Scion/Bruker/Varian GC) course.