- Duration: 1 day for face-to-face | Total of 6.5 hours over 2 days for Virtual Classroom course
- Experience level: Beginners
- Course type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face OR online via live video, with instrument parts and consumables to see
- RSC CPD approval: Approved for CPD
- Scheduled course venue: The Open University | Other venues | Virtual Classroom
- Online/onsite/in-house/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- On demand availability: Available
- Scheduled course price: £250 + VAT per delegate
- Course discount: RSC and CAMS members receive a discount on this course*
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
What will you learn on this course?
This is a perfect introduction for absolute beginners to liquid chromatography and LC-MS. The course will cover the what, why, where, when and how of LC & LC-MS.
- What is liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry, a HPLC or LC-MS?
- Why do we use liquid chromatography? How could it help solve problems and what answers could it give?
- When do we use liquid chromatography? What types of analytes and samples can you use LC for?
- How does liquid chromatography work? and what instrumentation is available?
- Where do we use liquid chromatography? Which applications to answer what questions?
- You will learn about the different types of chromatography
- You will understand the definitions of liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry
- You will learn the principles and components of the liquid chromatograph
- You will learn about the principles and components of the mass spectrometer
- You will learn the purpose and principles of data analysis
- You will learn about different sampling techniques for LC
- You will learn about a number of industries and their application of LC
Who is this course for?
- Beginners - those new to Liquid Chromatography or Mass Spectrometry.
- Analysts or Technicians looking for a refresher in these techniques.
- Lab Managers and Line Managers - those who are responsible for the instruments or the analysts using them.
- Data Analysts and Report Writers - technical specialists who aren't using the instruments but are using data from them.
- Service Engineers and Consultant Engineers - those who look after or recommend the use of these instruments but don't have the chemistry background or chemistry viewpoint.
- Those involved in the Sales or Marketing of these instruments, their consumables or their use for analysis - e.g. manufacturers, contract labs, media companies.
This course is ideal either as stand-alone or prior to attending the Practical Essentials of HPLC & LC-MS, Complete HPLC & LC-MS, Hands-on Complete HPLC & LC-MS or one of our manufacturer-specific Comprehensive courses.
How to book this course
- View dates and book Face-to-Face course
- View dates and book Virtual Classroom course
- Book On-demand Virtual Classroom course
Feedback from previous attendees of Virtual Classroom course
"I've enjoyed that the machinery and some parts of the instruments were shown and described (photos and real-life on the tutor desk). I've liked taking part in solving the problems with the instructor at the end of the course and talking about real-life examples, where HPLC can be used and what can be tested with it. The slides were very neat and clearly presented with a good amount of images and graphs added." May 2020.
Feedback from previous attendees of Face-to-Face course
"It was a very good refresher for me personally." John Adey, Scientist, Environment Agency (February 2018).