- Number of days: 5
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Type: Generic, applicable to all instrumentation
- Teaching method: Face-to-face classroom
- Course venue: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK | See individual dates for other venues
- Onsite/offsite availability: Arrange this course just for you
- Scheduled course price: £1120 + VAT per delegate
What will you learn on this course?
The 5-day Complete HPLC & LC-MS course is built from the 3-day Practical Essentials of HPLC & LC-MS and the 2-day HPLC & LC-MS Clinic courses to provide a complete training solution enabling you to understand your Liquid Chromatograph or LC-MS instrument, application method development, troubleshooting & maintenance.
This course covers all the practical theory you need to know about liquid chromatography and its related techniques including liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. Mobile phase optimisation including gradient elution, pumps and plumbing, autosampler injection techniques, sample preparation, calibration standards, data analysis for quantitation and qualitative analysis are discussed.
It also looks at how to develop appropriate application specific HPLC & LC-MS methods and the set-up and optimisation of instrumentation. Finally the steps required to maintain and troubleshoot the system, problem chromatography and mass spectra are covered. Advanced techniques are discussed and their application to difficult samples requiring optimal limits of detection and linear dynamic range. HPLC to UHPLC method transfer is touched upon, chromatographic deconvolution utilising tandem mass spectrometry, multi-dimensional LC (LCxLC), on-line SPE and chemometrics.
- You will learn the importance of good chromatography.
- You will learn how to select an appropriate mobile phase and develop gradient elution methods.
- You will learn about various autosampler injection techniques and when to use them.
- You will learn how to select an HPLC column (stationary phase and dimensions).
- You will learn the operation and selection of an appropriate HPLC detector.
- You will learn about the principles and components of the mass spectrometer.
- You will learn about sample preparation, calibration standards and sample properties.
- You will learn how to undertake data analysis for quantitation and qualitatitive analysis.
- You will learn strategies for HPLC and LC-MS method development.
- You will learn about system optimisation and configuration for HPLC and LC-MS.
- You will get an introduction to LC & MS advanced techniques.
- You will recognise areas requiring maintenance on the instrument.
- You will learn the logical steps of instrument troubleshooting.
Who is this course for?
The Complete HPLC & LC-MS course is for those who have basic knowledge of liquid chromatography and would like to greatly enhance it, learning the practical theory about all available HPLC & LC-MS techniques.
For complete beginners it is advisable to first attend the 1-day Absolute Basics of HPLC & LC-MS, as you may be overwhelmed by the amount of information on this course.
You can attend the 5-day course all at once or, learn about the techniques in the first 3 days, go back to the lab to implement the knowledge and then join us at a later date to attend the more advanced 2-day HPLC & LC-MS Clinic course.
If you would like to improve your knowledge in a particular area and don't want to attend a 5-day course you can choose to attend individual days from the Complete HPLC & LC-MS course.
Feedback from previous attendees
"[I enjoyed] developing an understanding of the applications and function of the equipment." George Bryant, Lab Technician, The Open University (October 2018)